Bottom Line with Ben Ray
Welcome to the Bottom Line with Ben Ray, a bimonthly newsletter where Team Lujan gives you the latest happening around New Mexico and coming out of Washington D.C. We hope these updates help spread the truth when it comes to Facebook and in person debates.
This week we’re talking about the Washington Tax Scam, Trump’s assault on national monuments, and the Republican disarray leading to a government shutdown!
First Things First: Coffee!
This Saturday, from 2-4:30pm Congressman Luján will be visiting with community members at The Gorge Bar & Grill in the Taos Plaza. We hope you can make it! Please send any questions to email@example.com.
The Republicans didn’t pass a Tax Plan, they passed a Tax Scam
Last week Republicans crammed through a tax scam so poorly constructed, they were still making handwritten amendments in the final hours. Without any hearings or Democratic amendments, this is one of the worst examples of Republicans prioritizing corporations and the 1%. Here are four fast facts on the tax scam before they try and finalize this terrible bill.
- Nonpartisan and bipartisan reviews agree: the national debt will skyrocket by more than a trillion dollars.
- It’s bad for New Mexico and New Mexicans.
- New Mexico will lose out on $600 million in federal funding and another $178 million from Medicare cuts.
- The House version conveniently removes taxes that cost Trump and the top 1% the most. Their plan repeals the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) and Estate Tax In 2005, that would have eliminated nearly 90% of Trump’s taxes.
- It slashes Medicare and Medicaid funding and, in the Senate, includes an underhanded effort to repeal healthcare reform that would leave 13 million Americans without health insurance. The budget tied to it slashes $1 trillion from Medicaid and $473 billion from Medicare.
Trump slashing national monuments
On Monday, Trump announced that he would dramatically shrink two of Utah’s most important national monuments. We’re not exaggerating: this is one of the greatest assault on public lands in our history as Bears Ears will only be 15% of its original size and Grand Staircase-Escalante will be cut in half. No other president has ever shrunk national monuments so substantially.
At home in New Mexico, we’ve got to stand against this! Outdoor recreation is a $9.9 BILLION industry in New Mexico that employs more than DOUBLE the employees working in mining and energy industries combined. 65% of all New Mexicans participate in outdoor recreation.
This week, a government shutdown looms as Washington Republicans scramble to agree on a band-aid solution that will get us through this holiday season. Make no mistake: With Republicans in control of the House, the Senate and the Presidency, the only things they can agree on is tax cuts for the wealthiest and wiping out health care for our poorest children.
Help us spread the word and let voters know what Congressman Luján is fighting for! And we’ll let you know when there is a conversation going on this week online. If you have any questions please reach out us at firstname.lastname@example.org.