- Congressman Ben Ray Luján knows that affordable access to quality health care is a critical part of the Democratic Party plan to give Americans A Better Deal. We should work to fix what’s not working with the Affordable Care Act today while moving forward with the parts that have already helped to insure millions of Americans.
- As a member of the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health, Ben Ray works every day on the front lines of the fight for better healthcare. He has fought to preserve and strengthen the Affordable Care Act (ACA), protecting the 183,000 New Mexicans who were able to buy health insurance through new, affordable and quality plans.
- Representative Luján stands ready to work across the aisle in an open and transparent process to find the best ideas that will improve care and build on the successes of – and the lessons learned from – the ACA.
- New Mexican seniors should have access to the care they need for ailments often ignored. To do that, Ben Ray has introduced the Behavioral Health Infrastructure Improvement Act to increase investment and expand mental health services for Medicare recipients.
- As uncertainty continues to dominate our national conversation on health care, Ben Ray will fight tooth and nail against Republican attempts to make further cuts to Medicare and Medicaid, which overwhelmingly burden our seniors, veterans, children, and disabled Americans.
- A growing economy cannot exist without improved public education. As Chairman of the Democratic Campaign Congressional Committee (DCCC), Ben Ray knows good politics create good policy, which is why he champions quality education for every New Mexican.
- He recognizes the critical role education plays in preparing students for a successful future. Representative Luján will continue to support efforts that ensure all children have access to early education, including the Head Start program, which serves 7,500 New Mexican kids.
A Better Deal for American workers means preparing our future leaders from day one. That’s why Representative Luján supports bipartisan efforts to modernize public education, emphasizing equal access to resources, STEM skills, and streamlined assessment programs that give educators more time to focus on their students.
- Higher education should be an opportunity for every student, not a luxury for a privileged few. That means no one should have to go into debt to finance their education and no prospective college student should be scared away from their own potential because of the cost of tuition.
- To that end, Representative Luján introduced the Save for Success Act, which helps hardworking families to save for their child’s education years in advance.
- The average college graduate begins the next chapter in their life with close to $30,000 in debt, which is a detriment to young adults as they try to purchase a new house or start a family. We have to do better.
- Recognizing that millions of college graduates are struggling to pay off existing student debt, Representative Luján cosponsored the Bank on Students Emergency Loan Refinancing Act, which lets students refinance their existing loans at a lower rate, helping them keep more of their hard-earned money.
- New Mexico is home to some of the most unique and beautiful natural resources in the world. Congressman Luján is committed to protecting and preserving those resources for future generations.
A Better Deal for New Mexicans – and all Americans – means a serious and sustained campaign that combats climate change as well as climate deniers in Congress who continue to stick their heads in the sand in response to what military leaders call our most serious national security threat.
- Ben Ray rejects the notion that we must choose between a successful, growing economy or a healthy, sustainable environment. He will continue to serve as an outspoken advocate for initiatives that protect clean air and water, create green jobs that support New Mexico’s economy, and ensure our communities have a healthy future.
- Representative Luján strongly supports funding outdoor recreation and conservation programs that promote New Mexico’s rich cultural history and the stunning landscapes that shaped it.
- Representative Luján is proud to support and honor those who dedicate their lives protecting our country. He believes “supporting the troops” is to do so at every stage of their lives – from the day they enter the service, during the time they wear the uniform, and as they discharge, grow their families, and work here at home.
- Military service demands much not only from our heroes, but their from families as well. To ensure every veteran has access to the care they have earned, Ben Ray has supported the Veterans’ Access to Care through Choice, Accountability, and Transparency Act. This legislation works to expand VA resources, increase accountability, and reduce the department’s backlog so veterans have timely access to the care they deserve.
- Congressman Luján also introduced the Clay Hunt Suicide Prevention for American Veterans Act, which is supported by numerous veterans groups. The bill addresses the mental health crisis in our veterans community and provides the care they need to support their families, succeed at their jobs, and live full, happy and healthy lives.
- To provide the tools our veterans need to succeed out of uniform, Representative Luján introduced legislation that would guarantee veterans the higher minimum wage – state or federal – while they continue their education on the federal Work Study program. He has also cosponsored the Manufacturing Jobs for Veterans Act to increase access to manufacturing jobs for those transitioning from service.
Listening to the People of New Mexico
- Ben Ray Luján has made himself available through 100's of public meetings and by traveling 1,000's of miles across one of the largest districts in the nation (47,000 square miles).