Pages tagged "Lujan"
In case you missed it, DCCC Chairman Ben Ray Luján outlined in a memo to staff and members this week why the House is undoubtedly in play in 2018. This is the first time Luján has said this since becoming Chairman in 2015.
SANDY SPRINGS, Ga. — The chairman of House Democrats’ campaign arm said Wednesday that control of the House is in play for the 2018 midterm elections, a statement that comes in the wake of a disappointing loss for Democrats in Georgia.
Last night’s results in Georgia were disappointing – we wanted to win and left everything on the field. Despite the loss, we have a lot to be proud of. The margin was close in this deep red district, and Jon Ossoff pushed the race to the limit in both the primary and runoff by impressively mobilizing the base and persuading independents and moderate Republicans. We will carry those key lessons forward in order to compete in districts as Republican-leaning as Georgia, and also the dozens of districts on our battlefield that are much more competitive.
In the wake of President Barack Obama’s State of the Union speech, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chairman Ben Ray Luján declared the House majority would be up for grabs in 2016.
- Congressman Ben Ray Luján knows that affordable access to quality health care is a critical part of the Democratic Party plan to give Americans A Better Deal. We should work to fix what’s not working with the Affordable Care Act today while moving forward with the parts that have already helped to insure millions of Americans.
- As a member of the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health, Ben Ray works every day on the front lines of the fight for better healthcare. He has fought to preserve and strengthen the Affordable Care Act (ACA), protecting the 183,000 New Mexicans who were able to buy health insurance through new, affordable and quality plans.
- Representative Luján stands ready to work across the aisle in an open and transparent process to find the best ideas that will improve care and build on the successes of – and the lessons learned from – the ACA.
- New Mexican seniors should have access to the care they need for ailments often ignored. To do that, Ben Ray has introduced the Behavioral Health Infrastructure Improvement Act to increase investment and expand mental health services for Medicare recipients.
- As uncertainty continues to dominate our national conversation on health care, Ben Ray will fight tooth and nail against Republican attempts to make further cuts to Medicare and Medicaid, which overwhelmingly burden our seniors, veterans, children, and disabled Americans.
- A growing economy cannot exist without improved public education. As Chairman of the Democratic Campaign Congressional Committee (DCCC), Ben Ray knows good politics create good policy, which is why he champions quality education for every New Mexican.
- He recognizes the critical role education plays in preparing students for a successful future. Representative Luján will continue to support efforts that ensure all children have access to early education, including the Head Start program, which serves 7,500 New Mexican kids.
- A Better Deal for American workers means preparing our future leaders from day one. That’s why Representative Luján supports bipartisan efforts to modernize public education, emphasizing equal access to resources, STEM skills, and streamlined assessment programs that give educators more time to focus on their students.
- Higher education should be an opportunity for every student, not a luxury for a privileged few. That means no one should have to go into debt to finance their education and no prospective college student should be scared away from their own potential because of the cost of tuition.
- To that end, Representative Luján introduced the Save for Success Act, which helps hardworking families to save for their child’s education years in advance.
- The average college graduate begins the next chapter in their life with close to $30,000 in debt, which is a detriment to young adults as they try to purchase a new house or start a family. We have to do better.
- Recognizing that millions of college graduates are struggling to pay off existing student debt, Representative Luján cosponsored the Bank on Students Emergency Loan Refinancing Act, which lets students refinance their existing loans at a lower rate, helping them keep more of their hard-earned money.
- New Mexico is home to some of the most unique and beautiful natural resources in the world. Congressman Luján is committed to protecting and preserving those resources for future generations.
- A Better Deal for New Mexicans – and all Americans – means a serious and sustained campaign that combats climate change as well as climate deniers in Congress who continue to stick their heads in the sand in response to what military leaders call our most serious national security threat.
- Ben Ray rejects the notion that we must choose between a successful, growing economy or a healthy, sustainable environment. He will continue to serve as an outspoken advocate for initiatives that protect clean air and water, create green jobs that support New Mexico’s economy, and ensure our communities have a healthy future.
- Representative Luján strongly supports funding outdoor recreation and conservation programs that promote New Mexico’s rich cultural history and the stunning landscapes that shaped it.
- Representative Luján is proud to support and honor those who dedicate their lives protecting our country. He believes “supporting the troops” is to do so at every stage of their lives – from the day they enter the service, during the time they wear the uniform, and as they discharge, grow their families, and work here at home.
- Military service demands much not only from our heroes, but their from families as well. To ensure every veteran has access to the care they have earned, Ben Ray has supported the Veterans’ Access to Care through Choice, Accountability, and Transparency Act. This legislation works to expand VA resources, increase accountability, and reduce the department’s backlog so veterans have timely access to the care they deserve.
- Congressman Luján also introduced the Clay Hunt Suicide Prevention for American Veterans Act, which is supported by numerous veterans groups. The bill addresses the mental health crisis in our veterans community and provides the care they need to support their families, succeed at their jobs, and live full, happy and healthy lives.
- To provide the tools our veterans need to succeed out of uniform, Representative Luján introduced legislation that would guarantee veterans the higher minimum wage – state or federal – while they continue their education on the federal Work Study program. He has also cosponsored the Manufacturing Jobs for Veterans Act to increase access to manufacturing jobs for those transitioning from service.
Listening to the People of New Mexico
- Ben Ray Luján has made himself available through 100's of public meetings and by traveling 1,000's of miles across one of the largest districts in the nation (47,000 square miles).
Ben Ray was born and raised in New Mexico, growing up in the small community of Nambé and knows his job is to put people first. He understands that the future of our nation depends on the strength of our middle class. As our Congressman, Ben Ray has always been dedicated to standing up for New Mexico values.
He is working to build a strong economy that means good jobs for working families striving for the American Dream. Ben Ray voted against the GOP Tax Scam, which was a sweetheart deal for billionaires and large corporations that will be bankrolled on the backs of middle-class families. He is standing for small businesses by protecting access to our public lands because he knows that New Mexico’s small business community thrives on tourism to our beautiful open spaces.
This is the moment we need to stand together.
Ben Ray knows that clean air, clean water and public lands are essential to our way of life in New Mexico and our local economy. As a leading voice in the House in the fight against climate change, Ben Ray worked with his colleagues to introduce legislation to establish a national renewable energy standard, so that we can take advantage of the environmental and economic benefits of clean energy.
He also introduced first-of-its-kind legislation to protect traditional land uses for our acequias and land grants, which allows acequias to be eligible for federal funds and requires both to be consulted when the federal government takes local action. In addition, Ben Ray understands the value of our national monuments, collaborating with grassroots organizations to protect the Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument, opening the Sabinoso Wilderness, establishing the Cerro del Yuta and Rio San Antonio Wilderness Areas for the next generation.
In our community, Congressman Luján is standing up for our families, our children and veterans that served our nation. Ben Ray is working across the aisle with Republicans to confront the opioid crisis impacting families across New Mexico and across the country. He is pushing legislation to make sure that communities can get the help and resources they need to combat addiction.
He introduced the State Public Option Act to create a Medicaid Buy-In for individual states, especially New Mexico because he supports universal and affordable health care that maintains VA and IHS services for veterans and Native American communities.
Your Voice Matters
Ben Ray understands that the next generation is the future of our nation. He knows working families need reliable childcare that doesn’t cost more than they earn and he cosponsored the Child Care for Working Families Act to ensure affordable, high-quality child care for working families across the country.
He believes in quality education for every New Mexican and every American. Ben Ray supports bipartisan efforts to modernize public education, provide access to early education through the Head Start program, and help families save for their child’s education through the Save for Success Act, which he introduced. Our education system for our children is the foundation for our country’s future.
He is proud to support and honor our veterans. He cosponsored the Manufacturing Jobs for Veterans Act to increase access to manufacturing jobs for those transitioning from service. He introduced the Clay Hunt Suicide Prevention for American Veterans Act to address the effects of PTSD and the mental health issues in our veterans community.
He knows that it matters how we treat people and believes everyone must be treated equally regardless of their gender, color of their skin or who they love.
Ben Ray is a staunch advocate for women’s healthcare and reproductive rights. He supports the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision and believes that reproductive decisions belong between a woman and her doctor. Ben Ray earned a 100% pro-choice score from NARAL Pro-Choice America and Planned Parenthood.
Guarenteeing equal rights for LGBTQ individuals is fundamental to the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. A person’s sexual orientation should not prevent them from being treated equally or serving our country in the armed forces.
“When we work together we win together!”
There’s too much at stake this election cycle, and Ben Ray is fighting to restore checks and balances in our nation. Stand with Congressman Luján today!
Stand with Team Ben Ray
2018 is a year of opportunity
Over the past two years, millions of Americans stood up for our shared American values. They marched in the women’s marches, protested against the Muslim ban, and stood up against racism and hate in our nation. The fight isn’t over and together we can protect our democracy this November.
Ben Ray has visited communities across northern New Mexico and is committed to working with people to represent their voice in Congress. The grassroots is the strength and future of our democracy and Ben Ray is collaborating with local groups to ensure as many voters as possible make it to the polls to cast their ballot.
As the Chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC), Ben Ray works with local organizations to elect leaders who are unafraid to stand up to this administration and stand up for our American ideals, and together we can help him.
"It’s the grassroots that are going to ultimately decide who is going to be the president in 2020 and who’s going to control the Congress after the 2018 election cycle."
This is where you tell everyone about your work as an elected official and the region you represent.
Think of this as a great place to connect with your constituents and collaborate on civic activities. You can share your public calendar with constituents. A blog will help you keep your community abreast of your activities. You can set up a second blog as a "water cooler," accepting posts from citizens.
In this section, you'll want to provide biographical information. You can also add subpages to share information about your staff and the community you serve.
To change this content, click "Edit this page" in the Supporter Nav on the right,
or from your Control Panel navigate to Websites > [home] > Content.